Monday, May 4, 2009

MORE DIORESQUE


Hair pieces + veils: Batcakes Couture
Hair: Kyle Rich
Location: San Juan Capistrano, California

I want to talk a little about my 'Dioresque Collection'. The gorgeous Stephanie Williams photo series, Vintage + Rustic feature about it has been all over the net lately. Since the debut of these images you all have expressed interest in where I get my inspirations. Hurell and Dior were my icons so it makes sense most of my work is inspired by vintage looks. I'm especially fond of old Hollywood and 1950s Paris and always working on ways to bring these styles into a modern arena for contemporary brides.


I've always had a thing about dresses with tons of volume just above the ankles. Most in the 'Dioresque' collection follow this length which can easily go formal or semi-formal.















'Dioresque' is a capsule collection of 50s hourglass silhouettes. It isn't quite finished as there are four more dresses similar to these coming off the work table within the next few months. I am making a few changes in production. Next season I plan on replacing most of the crinoline underskirts with 100% cotton organdy.




Another fabric I'm incorporating into the collection is bamboo cotton. It has just the right under structure to make a great lining and feel good against the skin. Plus, little beknownst to most, bamboo has anti-bacterial properties which contribute to controlling body odors.









What could be more Paris 1950s than a picture hat swathed in tulle? When Stephanie found this piece in my collection she asked specifically for it to add as a piece in the shoot. Amber sure knows how to work this hat and gloved lady-like look.


















Special thanks to all who made this shoot possible and with such skill to bring out the vintage looks reminiscent of an era we all love so much . . . .

14 comments:

Carol said...

Gosh, these are so stunning!

Natalie said...

I absolutely adore your Dior-esque line, and that tulle swathed hat always makes me swoon.

LPC said...

I agree, I love these. And the new fabrics look delicious. Do you have plans to do any in this mode but with a dropped waist?

bridechic said...

I love dropped waists. The thing is, after years of almost entirely empire and dropped and basque waists through the 1990s, the natural waistlines is a refreshing change. It also has an almost perfect symmetry. I realize not everyone can wear a natural waist though. I have one really great dropped white shantung I'll be bringing out this summer. Once it is finished I know you'll love it LPC!

Couture Carrie said...

Wow! What gorgeous dresses! I love the 50s silhouette and the shorter length of some of these gowns.

xoxox,
CC

avant garde design said...

wow, gorgeous blog you have here with i'm sure a much needed audience. i love this post of dresses and styles and especially the feather in her hair, very soft and very vintage. thanks for stopping by my blog, i'll be back often too! :)

noone said...

lovely photos!! She is stunning!

Milly. said...

Thanks for the comment, how did you find my blog?! Yay!

I am in awe of your designs...if I ever get married I want one of the ones with the lady holding the bouquet. They are quite simple but absolutely stunning. I design some clothes, and do textiles AS...I will never get to your standard. Just Wow.

xxxx

Monique Radwin said...

This is the first I've seen of the hat pix. Awesome.

Bridal Affairs said...

These are amazing! I especially love the second dress- I just think it is a dream dress!!

Emily Heizer Photography said...

Thank you for all the comments on my blog! I LOVE them! I LOVE comments and I never get any so THANK YOU!

I am so incredibly excited you posted the rest of this session, it is AWESOME it is what sent me over to your blog to begin with. The dress with the wheat is my absolute fav and I have it book marked on Etsy (I think!) just on the off chance I suddenly meet Prince Charming and get married this year. lol

bridechic said...

Thanks so much!

Grace Community Garden said...

Amy Jo,
I almost wish I were getting married all over again so I could have you design my dress! I adore the old Hollywood/Dior styles. Your dresses are so uberly feminine... wow wow wow

Unknown said...

Excellent blog here. It’s out-of-the-way quality writing. If truth be told I appreciate the people like you! Take care Wedding Dresses Under 1000