Friday, September 16, 2011

OPENING NIGHTS: A Night in a Forbidden City

Have I got a a heap of eye candy for you today! Knowing how much you love gala and all that goes with it, I'll get right down to the swoon-worthy stuff. Last Friday was opening night at the San Francisco Opera. With a time-honored tradition for 'Puttin' on the Ritz', SF's opening is a bit like Cannes Film Festival meeting New Year's Eve in Old Vienna. Premiering with Pucini's Turandot, the parade of chic was especially inspiring this year and if you're as amped on couture as I am this is your visual fix for awhile. Notice all those bridal designers we know and love simply switch to technicolor when they come out on nights like this. . . .


WHAT'S NEW ON THE RED CARPET?

TREND#1.) Prints and Drapery . . . While we've been seeing prints featured more and more on the Red Carpet they had particular significance Friday night following Turandot's eastern theme. Add all the brightly embossed and embroidered fabrics and there was a real show of color. Gowns with draping have been no strangers on the runways and carpet; now designers are moving into asymmetrical and pleat variations in both bodices and skirts for evening wear. Above: Marissa Mayer (of Google fame) looked fabulous in a gold shot print gown created by none other than The Duchess of Cambridge's own wedding gown designer, Sarah Burton of Alexander McQueen. Below: Former Mayor of San Francisco, Willie Brown with Sonya Molodetskaya in a gorg purple and lavender asymmetrically draped and fitted gown by Azadeh Couture . . .
Above: Deepa Pakianathan wears a Rubin Singer. A rich blue, the cut and lightness of silk organza are all this gown needs to take a walk down the Red Carpet. Check out the asymmetrically pleated bodice and draped skirt--a real must see must see in action on the video as Deepa goes through some serious twirls .
TREND#2.) EMBROIDERY. I haven't seen this kind of handiwork since the 60s when Oscar de la Renta introduced variations of it in the peasant/gypsy look. Well, Oscar is alive and well now reinventing gypsies into Czarinas as you can see in this masterpiece worn by Dede Wilsey. The detail work is exquisite and first glance totally took my breath away. Check out the video to get a close up of the intricate hand work.
In a word, awesome! Lucy Buchanan wears this all over embroidered Naeem Khan so beautifully. The movement in the train is just too stunning and can be seen in the video . . .
TREND#3.) Ruffles Have you noticed they're everywhere in bridal and gala wear with so many variations I could write a whole book about it. Of all the ruffled gowns (and there were stacks) this Christian Siriano worn by Afsaneh Akhatari took the prize and is another video must see.

DESIGNERS GOING GALA

SF Opera opening night has it's handful of fashion designers local as well as international that show up and look magnificent in their own creations. Above is the ever elegant and beautiful Karen Caldwell in a plum confection I just love with knotted/ruched drapery . . .Her bow at the waist is signature Karen. . . .
Jewelry designer Amber Marie Bentley is always beyond the fashion curve. Her 'Over the Edge' look lies somewhere between underground and the most quintessential couture . . .
Above left is Bay Area designer Rebecca Bruce in a masterpiece of silk and satin patchwork, following the eastern theme of this event. If you love one-of-a-kind couture with an edge keep a watch on this designer .

So . . . which of all these gowns is your favorite? It was hard for me to go through hundreds and pick the few that made it to this post. However, I feel this sampling encapsules just how Red Carpet Fashion is developing, evolving and moving to the next level . . . .

Lastly a note of thanks here. Getting it done professionally with an event of this size and scope is a gargantuan task. Without the top notch coverage Drew Altizer Photography gave to SF's Opening Night, this editorial wouldn't be possible.  Special thanks to SF Gate for use of the video which I'm sure you'll all find enlightening and inspiring.

51 comments:

Jessie said...

I am in love with the blue gown and ruffled gown! Both are so gorgeous and elegant!

Have a beautiful weekend!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Ashley said...

Total awesomeness!
Love the first dress and how it wraps.

Wedding Lighting Service Los Angeles said...

Thanks for sharing this great content, I really enjoyed the insign you bring to the topic, awesome stuff!

the nyanzi report said...

what a glamorous affair. everyone looks so elegant. great coverage.

Selvaggia Capizzi said...

I am lusting over these pictures!!!
Great gowns!
xx
http://dontcallmefashionblogger.blogspot.com/

FASHIONISMYWAY by Cristina L said...

wow, what an amazing event!! All these dresses are so stunning!!

http://fashionismyway.blogspot.com/

fashion and frank said...

I love the plum Karen Caldwell - very elegant - thanks for your comment btw and always the friendly fur option x

http://fashionandfrank.blogspot.com/

Marcela Gmd said...

Fabulous!!!! Great post!
I love the blue gown!!!

Besos, desde EspaƱa, Marcela

Madeline said...

These dresses are simply stunning. I love the colors and how elegant they look :)

*Cappuccino and Fashion*

Natasha said...

I usually don't have problems deciding which dress looks best. But these are all stunning.

Cafe Fashionista said...

Ohmigosh what exquisite gowns! I especially love the first one! :)

Diana said...

I love, love that ruffle gown...wow!! Christian S is really coming a long way since Project Runway! Love his styles! Happy weekend love! <3


Ps thank you for the wonderful comments on my personal blog! :)

Unknown said...

Wooow, beautiful gowns!!!^.^


xoxo
Antonia

FASHION IMPERATIVE

Donatella said...

Pretty blog!
I'm followed you, follow me too :D

http://thefashionbook1.blogspot.com/

Couture Carrie said...

Absolutely gorgeous gowns!
Love this post, darling!

xoxox,
CC

Courtney Erin said...

Wow, such amazing gala pieces! I just love this!

xoxo ~ Courtney
http://sartorialsidelines.com

Bravoe Runway said...

These ladies all look gorgeous and I always was more of a fan of a solid colour silk satin gown but the embroidery on the black and white one is gorgeous! May be something I need to add to my closet!

Bonnie said...

Everything is so pretty. The details in the dresses are GORGEOUS.

http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Monique Radwin said...

Oh Amy these are just beautiful. Saw your gown on the Etsy Treasury this morning and now this. I always wanted to do the opening night. Hard to choose from all these lovelies but if I had to I'd go with the gown at the bottom--even though not my style she looks so beautiful in it. Wish you'd do more posts like this--We do live in one amazing fashion capitol.

nataliesudia said...

They are all stunning and would be amazing to wear, but I think my heart belongs to Karen Caldwell's plum gown. Not only is it a picture perfect color, dramatic but classy, but it also has that precious bow detail (of which I am a huge fan... even my wedding dress had a bow detail!) It's dressy and unique, and I'm sure she made quite a splash at the SF Opera in it!

Rhian Morris said...

I love the sleekly elegant gown by Karen Caldwell. The style can easily lend itself to many different colors. The model is wearing the gown. The gown is NOT wearing the model.

Marion said...

THESE DRESS ARE AMAZING !

JUST WAHOU.

http://the-mbook.blogspot.com/

Xoxo

Mary said...

Hello, your blog is fantastic.
And your post is so cute.
I love your dress is fantastic kisssssssssssss.
http://mary1975.blogs.elle.es/

Alexandria said...

I am in love with Lucy Buchanan and Afsaneh Akhatari's gowns, stunningly beautiful!

and thanks so much for stopping by my blog. you have a new follower now :)

http://alexandriajz.blogspot.com/

ŠæŠ°Š»Š°Š¾Ń€Šæ said...

I like so much the first dress! And the deep blue one drives me crazy: its colour ands its fabric are so perfect=)

Kisses,

Yulia.

lapetiteblonde said...

Hi!Thanks for your comment on my blog!=)
like the first dress!
kisses and follow you!

http://lpbbymayal.blogspot.com/

Tina Astra said...

Really nice editorial! Love your blog . Glad you left me a comment and found you :))

tina
http://wherecanifindthe.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

lovely photos!!

Andrea Antoniou said...

everything looks just lovellyyyy, your blog is soo lovely by the ways, i will be visiting it again very soon, you can count on that hehe :)

NEW POST!
http://haveapeekinsidemywardrobe.blogspot.com/
xxxxx

Katsuumi said...

Elegant dresses ;) beautiful women. I like your blog and if you want, we can follow each other! ;)

The Fashion Commentator said...

Hi Amy!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I'm glad you liked the Momo GalƩn fashinators.

Beautiful blog!

xoxo
Alessandro
from Florence - Italy

Emily, Ruby Slipper Journeys said...

What a stunning collection of gowns. My absolute favourite is definitely the first, pink one. But special mention for that stunning embroidered number!

Laura said...

Amazing dresses !!
kisses

Anonymous said...

nice black dress ...
http://fashionstyle-pk.blogspot.com/

Low said...

Apart from the girl with the tatoo on her back (I don´t really find it stylish at all), I´m totally in love with all the designs you selected! So elegant & chic!
I also adore wearing large gloves!

XOXO

http://somestylestories.blogspot.com

BeSugarandSpice said...

Love the dresses, are amazing!!

Call me M said...

So many lovely dresses! I loved the pictures! It must have been a really nice event to attend!
Thank you so much for commenting on my blog!

Unknown said...

lovely gowns! so beautiful. <3 www.rubygirlblog.com

FashionJazz said...

I am in love with the pink and the ruffle dress : )

Anonymous said...

So much elegance. In a world where skirts keep getting shorter, I love it when people bring back that old school glamour.

Lots of love from Sydney,

x Kel

nursery rhymes: little bo peep

Lexy @ QUIRKY EXPLOSION said...

AH BEAUTIFUL. I really love the first dress. I don't know. There's something about the colour thats all OHLESIGHHHMMMM! Yeah. That.

QUIRKYEXPLOSION.blogspot.com

Lisa said...

Sigh, this makes me wish I had gala events to dress up for!

Nicole said...

Wow some of those gowns were gorgeous!
xxx

Chicca said...

OMG, all these dresses are so chic!!!

Joey J said...

amazing dresses! I wanna wear such a dress someday!
Blackfashionbird.blogspot.com

Fashion Victims Bcn said...

So cute looks, love them!!!

Fabrizia Spinelli said...

Hi! I found your blog and I like it so much! I love Karen Caldwell's dress!
Come and visit my blog, and if you like it, follow me, I'll be waiting for you!

Cosa mi metto???

Almudena (Metpm) said...

So many great dresses!!
xx

The Lovely Nester said...

I love the prints look that is showing up on the red carpet!

Also, I have a giveaway going on at my blog right now for a $25 gift card to Daisy Days Favors. If you're interested you can enter at http://acapecodbride.blogspot.com/2011/09/daisy-days-giveaway.html

Divine Elegance said...

The Plum confection modeled by Karen Caldwell and the Trend #2 by Dede Wilsey reflecting Oscar de la renta is so FIRST CLASS and a fabulous style! I wish I could be in both of them!

Wedding Lighting Long Beach said...

The Plum collection looks beautiful as well as your wedding gown!