Tuesday, January 14, 2014

HOW THEY WORE IT PART 1

The best part of having a blog is getting a chance to post some really great pictures of my clients in their dresses.  Since today we'll be zoning in on the wonders of customized design I wanted to share a few thoughts on the subject.   Customized means my client adores an overall design as it is but wants to finish it off herself by adding something as simple as an under slip, belt, bow, sash--lengthening, shortening and/or all those little details that make it original and unique to her.  I learn so much from my clients--most of all every one of them has improved my work by the way she wears it.  Here are some of my favorite takes
THE MIRA DRESS
How Elin Wore It
Pictured Below: Elin and Anton were married at Kalmar Castle in Sweden so I knew when I was working on this ivory and lace confection  it was going to have to be storybook perfect.  We changed out the gray sash for one in corresponding chiffon and used a lighter backing for the Chantilly lace.  Those subtle changes were just stunning.
How Shell Wore It
Pictured Below:  Totally tickled pink when I had the opportunity to design Shell's wedding dress knowing the Manhattan Skyline would be backdrop. Shell and Sean both love NY and wanted to find a venue that showcased their love of the city. Shell particularly wanted the vintage vibe of The Mira Dress and added short white gloves as well as a birdcage veil held in place by a plumed flower. 

THE MARISOL DRESS
How Suzi Wore It
 Below: Suzi loved the opaqueness of this bodice and pictured The Marisol Dress would work with the majestic backdrop of Yosemite and her wedding with Ian.  She swapped the self belt out for a navy blue sash and shoes.  Sometimes the simplest changes are the best . . . .
How Joanna Wore It
Below: I love Joannna's version of the Marisol Dress--short, sweet and full worn with a longish tulle veil bordered in lace.  This dress was perfect when she and Dai were married in Aukland in fall.

THE APRIL DRESS

How Donna Wore It
Below: Donna had so many awesome design ideas I wanted to take her on as an assistant designer so I could pick her brains on a regular basis.  I loved working with her. At first she was shy about asking whether it was okay to change the design around by adding red and purple polka dot peek-a-boo petticoats under embroidered ivory organza.  The red satin belt paired with Vivienne Westwood shoes went perfectly with the Vantetine's Day theme.  Though the April Dress is a gemmie all on it's own, I loved the changes she added . . . .
Photo 1 by Loic Photo
Photos 3,4, 5 and 6: Photos by Erika Gerdemark Photography
Photos 7 and 8 by Donnie Miller Photography
Photos 9, 10, 11 by Patrick Pike
Photos 12 and 13 (photographer unknown)
Photos 15-19 by Loic Photo

All dresses by Amy-Jo Tatum

8 comments:

Joy Shana said...

Beautiful dresses and photos
Shana-Style

Ashley said...

I really love the last dress with pops of color!

oxoxo Ashley

Julie (Little Pink Rain Boots) said...

Wow, stunning dresses. I love the fullness of the skirts.

LittlePinkRainBoots.blogspot.com

The Dainty Dolls House said...

So gorgeous, I like the variety of different dresses as well :)) Have a lovely day doll xx

the chilicool said...

Amazing dress and photos!
Alessia
THECHILICOOL
FACEBOOK
Kiss

Gee said...

Oh Donna wore it so well! Beautiful dress Amy.

Roses and Lace said...

Lovely to see your brides in these gorgeous dresses x

Nicole (Bellenza Party Suite) said...

Love this post! I really like the Marisol dress :)