Friday, September 14, 2012

HAIRRIFIC!


Have you noticed there's this focus on inventive hairdressing lately whether you decide to ditch the veil or not?  Once you've got the gown, topping it all off is the next detail to dressing the part. Okay, so not every bride feels right doing the veil thing, lots are going for smaller headpieces, even hats.  For those of you wanting to skip the cake top template of hairstyles all together and try something new, I talked with Northern Cal icon of hairdressing Kathie Rothkop of Salon Glam in Novato.  Innovating hairstyles for years,  I asked about her take on bridal hair in the here and now.  Here's what she said: "I get inspired first by the style of the gown, second, the type of woman wearing the gown and the time of year of the wedding.
"I put women in 4 categories. Sporty, classic,romantic and edgy. A sporty woman would want hair very simple, probably short and tailored.  Her gown would be clean-lined. Classic would be very traditional, maybe a french twist, no ornamentation. Grace Kelly was a classic beauty. Romantic is my favorite. Lots of bling, flowers, height, softness and curls. Goldie Hawn, & Katherine Zeta Jones are good examples of this. Edgy is non traditional, Lady GaGa really is this look."
Kathie once told  me something I'd never forget--"Before I go to sleep nights I envision all the kinds of things I can can do with hair to make it art" . . . I knew then she was a woman after my own heart  . . . 
 


Top Photo
Mod and 1960s -inspired with a contemporary edge . . .
  Photo 2: Vintage glam with long hair Marcel-waved and tucked under, added Stephanotis is the perfect accent . . .
Photos 3 & 4: Go wild with Spring flowers in bloom.  This loose upsweep and side braid are accented with fresh Star Royal Magnolias would be the perfect compliment of any destination wedding.
Photo 5: A loose braid dappled in Stephanotis
Photos 6 & 7: Birds of a feather . . . . Dare to go avian with the whole bird, including feathers.  The hair is long and loose with tiny braids interwoven at the crown . . .Stunning with sheath and evening gown styles.

Photo 8: Got long locks?  Flaunt it all with half up and half down hair.  The bun is sprinkled with white Stephanotis.
Photos 9 & 10: A classic bun accented with white roses

CREDITS

Photography: Top Photo by John T Photo/Photo 2 by Henley Photography / Photos3&4 John T Photo/Photo 5 by Henley Photography/Photo 6 &7 by  John T Photo/ Photo 8 by Stuart Lirette /Photos 9 & 10  by Henley Photography 

Hair: Kathie Rothkop of Salon Glam
Makeup: Juliane Chai/Rob Ward

12 comments:

The Dainty Dolls House said...

That first one is just mega awesome, love that!! Hope you are well doll & wish you a wonderful Friday and weekend xx

ELBLOGDEJESS said...

que peinados mas románticos y originalessss, gracias por tu comentario en mi blog, nos seguimos???? un beso y feliz finde semana, muack

Carla Verne said...

I love first! <3

Maybe u wanna follow each other? ;) If u wanna let me know! ;)
xoxo

The Garage Starlets said...

So beautiful! Lovely post!

http://www.thegaragestarlets.com/

Indian Wedding Planners said...

That's really nice blog posts and images that you have here.. I have been to your blog a couple of times and liked reading your posts. Keep up the great work!

A Very Sweet Blog said...

I love the idea of flowers and feathers in one's hair. I think it all works.
http://www.averysweetblog.com/

Katherine said...

wow. i think i may prefer a more classic look for the hair myself

<3 katherine
of corgis and cocktails

Natasha Gregson said...

Wow, so different and inspiring :)

ngofficial.blogspot.co.uk

<3

Lilli said...

Hi Amy, beautiful hairstyle, love especially the braids! Kisses!

StylishByNature said...

These pics are such a delight !! Love them :)

Win $50 to spend at ClothingLoves.com
❤ StylishByNature.com

Selvaggia Capizzi said...

Yesterday I was attending a wedding and the bride had a very weird headband, I should email her picture to you!

Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
Bloglovin'
Facebook

Be Inspired! - Susa said...

I like it up... way up. So much more glam;)