Last week we ran the Retro Glam editorial and you all loved it. This week we're delving more into getting the look makeup artist and hairstylist Julie Morgan created for that magnificent shoot. Here it all is in her own words: Spring is here and so is wedding season. The Retro look is back and becoming popular again as Spring/Summer '12 trends are showing up with modern meets old Hollywood Glamour.
Prada is perfect example of that trend taking off and was the inspiration for my Retro Bridal Session at City Hall, San Francisco CA.
Here's my 13 step " How to " for creating that beautiful Hollywood Retro Bridal look!
Prep work for the skin:
** Drink lots of water! Not only hydrates the skin but, the camera picks up on a more translucent skin.
** Get a facial one week before your wedding. Why? take a piece of clear scotch tape, place it on the back of your hand, pull it off.. look at all those dead skin cells.. imagine putting make up on top of that?
** Get a good night's sleep. However you do it! Ask your doctor about sleep aids. Sometimes this is all that works with a wedding planned for the next day. Trust me, I have seen the most miserable brides on their wedding day , tired looking, feeling bad. You know how you look and feel when you have not gotten enough sleep.
O.K. now that the prep is done,
1. start out with evening the skin.
I recommend a my Mat T fier. $22.
Instant T-zone mattifier. New-generation gel creates a smooth, matte finish in seconds. Matrix of high-performance mattifiers delivers intense shine-stopping action. Apply to forehead, nose, chin and other areas where shine breaks through. Can be reapplied over makeup, if necessary, throughout the day.
.6 oz Clear Tube
2. Foundation. Choose a shade 1-2 shades lighter than your own skin color Julie Morgan Cosmetics $35.
SPF 8. Hypoallergenic. Innovative liquid creates a younger appearance instantly. Deflects light away from fine lines and wrinkles. Smoothes imperfections with special coated micro pigments that virtually float over skin. Without settling into lines and creases. Light-diffusing finish and moderate coverage. Normal to dry skin.
3. Concealer and corrector ; Julie Morgan Cosmetics $24.
Yellow and Green for taking out red ( broken capillaries, sunburn, rosacea , breakouts )
4. Duel Avtiv Powder Finish to seal the foundation , blending down the neck as well to make the look natural and give a flawless all day look. $37,
Wet/dry formula. Leaves a flawless, matte finish with adjustable coverage. Wear alone in place of foundation, or over foundation for complete coverage. Creative Color pans are wrapped in individual protective shells.
5. For a structured Retro brow, I like using the Brow Shaping Kit Julie Morgan Cosmetics $24.
The total system for dimensional brows. The tinted wax creates a base. Two soft fiber shades impart natural-looking texture and dimension. For a sleeker look, the powders can be applied first, then the wax. Double ended Takelon brush provides precision
and touch up for brow arch for a Hollywood Glamour look
6. I used my Julie Morgan Cosmetics Browblender pencils to emphasize the Retro arch. Very important for the look. Shade, Taupe. $22.
Dual-ended pencil imparts the definition of a pencil with a soft-powder finish. Unique brush tip blends and shapes for full, natural-looking brows.
7. I used my signature shadow Quad , the Naturalist , using taupe for all over the eyes and fawn for the eyelid.
Julie Morgan Cosmetics $24.
Shade, contour and highlight eyes with our Signature Shadow Quads.
Go for the glam with expertly coordinated shadow quartets - four trendsetting shades in one convenient, portable palette. Pearl, shimmer, iridescent, metallic and matte textures merge to define eyes in a whole new light. A wardrobe of endless possibilities.
Hypoallergenic; Vitamins A & E conditions and protect eyelids.
8. and using my automatic long lasting eyeliner, I line the eyes thin line in the corner of the eye, making a thicker line as I bring the liner to the outer corner of the eye, I used the shade, Bark.
Julie Morgan Cosmetics $22.
Smooth, easy lining. Color-dense liner fortified with Aloe Vera and Chamomile for extra skin-soothing. Automatic dispensing pen requires no sharpening.
10. I love those 40's & 50's " pinched cheeks " look. Apply Baked blush in Nectar on the apples of the cheeks. Julie Morgan Cosmetics $22.
Highlight and contour while adding instant radiance to your cheeks with these soft, blendable cheek colors. Silky smooth, highly-pigmented baked blush imparts a natural luminosity and delicate flush of color.
Hypoallergenic. Fragrance and paraben-free.
11. Line lips in a rounded top lip with automatic long lasting lipliner wiht vitamin E , Red Velvet. Julie Morgan Cosmetics $20.
Finishing touch for every look. Long lasting, waterproof and creamy texture in one automatic pencil. Dispenses color easily without sharpening. Preservative and mineral oil-free. Contains antioxidant Vitamins C and E.
12. Use a Matte Red lipstick to fill in for the finishing of the Retro look with Julie Morgan Cosmetics, Luxury Matte Lipstick in shade, Red Carpet.
A luxurious lipstick that achieves long-lasting wear, hydration, and color-stay in one modern matte formulation. This slimline lipstick glides on velvety smooth and pampers lips with softening properties such as Sodium Hyaluronic, Squalene and Vitamin E. Achieve intense long lasting wear with maximum color impact without drying lips out. Modern formulation allows this matte finish to remain smooth and creamy. Hypoallergenic. Free of preservative and
Touch up for shine through out the day. Julie Morgan Cosmetics $24.
A shine-free, no-color finish. Technologically advanced formula won't cake, dry out skin--or alter the shade of foundation.
Photos from Retro Glam shoot by Shannon Stellmacher Photography